Who is Matt?
I’ve been an entrepreneur for 10 years & deeply involved in digital marketing my whole career. I spent years watching small businesses struggle with marketing while my partner & I built one of the most successful photo studios in upstate New York. Now, I use those same skills learned over the last decade to help small businesses succeed when they are over-matched and under-sized.
2010 - Present
SEO Consultant, High on SEO
High on SEO is a digital marketing and SEO firm focused on small businesses.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Hands on on-page SEO optimization for clients.
- Responsible for technical SEO suggestions and changes.
- Creating SEO strategy and data analysis through Google Analytics.
- Completed keyword research for 70+ clients.
- Responsible for rank tracking, analytics and conversion rate optimization.
Paid Advertising (PPC)
- Adwords campaign manager for clients including keyword optimization and A/B keyword testing.
- Managing ongoing client marketing budgets, targets and goal tracking.
- Results-driven metric marketing focused on increased rankings, traffic, conversions and revenue for clients.
- Social media campaign management for the High on SEO brand (24,000 Twitter followers, 6000+ Facebook likes and ~1000 Google circles.)
- Social media advertising campaigns across multiple platforms: Twitter Sponsored posts, Facebook Promoted Posts/Ads, StumbleUpon Paid Discovery and Google Adwords.
- Familiarity and expertise with most common online social media tools including HootSuite, Buffer, TweetDeck, Klout, TwentyFeet, Topsy, FollowerWonk and more.
Read what Matt thinks about SEO and Social Media
Content Producer, NiltoMil and Starting to Cook
NiltoMil and StartingtoCook were two of Matt's forays into the world of professional blogging. Both were successful in terms of revenue and public reception. They are "lumped" together here because they share similar skills, goals and results.
- Created unique content 3-4x per week per blog.
- Grew from unknown to the #2 microstock photography blog (NiltoMil) for over 3 years.
- Content production included: writing all posts, all photography and creating recipes for StartingtoCook.com.
Info: NiltoMil averaged over 200 unique visitors per day for 3 years straight. StartingtoCook was a food photography blog that hit almost 10,000 unique visitors in one day after two top posts were Stumbled. Both blogs earned over $20,000 revenue during their existence, as well as sponsorships from top companies such as ThinkTank Photo, TortillaLand and ProPhotoRental.
Owner, Best Day Photo & Picture Infinity Studios
- Provided professional photography services and follow-up customer service to hundreds of wedding clients and thousands of portrait clients, resulting in approximately $1 million in revenue.
- Managed multiple associate photographers to success with several opening their own studios.
- Managed client relations, customer service and product delivery.
- Responsible for all aspects of small business ownership including: marketing, sales, advertising, client acquisition, retention, and follow up.
- Promoted and managed an SEO campaign to #1 ranking for all main keywords and hundreds of long tail keywords. Promoted second and third sites to Page 1 of Google for all the same terms, as well.
I created, organized and ran a MasterClass in digital workflow for WPPI 2008 (wedding & portrait photography's largest tradeshow with over 15,000 attendees).
Produced video tutorials for photographers on website design, splash page optimization, marketing and using digital tools for SEO.
Spent 3 years as head moderator for the 2nd largest forum for wedding and portrait photographers (OpenSourcePhoto).
Commercial Photographer, Freelance
Clients and publications:
USA Today AOL/Time Warner Animal Planet
Hotels.com Best Buy The Independant (UK)
Livestrong Newsweek (Poland) Forbes
Better Homes & Gardens HSBC Bank AudioVox
- Responsible for all aspects of set design, posing, lighting, and all photographic requirements.
- Managed photo library including: photo editing, keyword research, cataloguing, upload and submission to agencies.
- Photographed the Traver's Stakes (horse racing), Australian Open (tennis) and Portland Sea Dogs (baseball) events, leading to image sales from each.
Syracuse University College of Law, Juris Doctorate
Studied: Contract law, business formation, intellectual property including copyright law, taxes, international law and treaties, legal ethics and Constitutional law.
- Law Review for WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization)
- Internship with a small business legal firm at Baldwin & Sutphen, LLP.
Cazenovia College, Bachelor of Science
Studied: History and Political Science (major), accounting, marketing, business, philosophy and psychology.
- Who's Who Among Students in American Universities, 4 consecutive years.
- Graduated with high honors in the top 5% of class.
- Winner: Fred Williams History Award.
- Phi Theta Kappa for academic achievement.
- On Page & Technical SEO0
- Keyword Research0
- Linkbuilding Strategies0
- Content Creation0
- Conversion Rate Optimization0
- Google Analytics0
- PPC & Paid Ads0
- Marketing & SEO Strategy0
- Client Management0
- Campaign Management0
- Branding Strategies0
- Social Media Marketing0
- Adobe Creative Suite0
- Agile Tools (Hootsuite, Tweepi, etc.) 0
- Excel & Data Reporting0
- Web Dev. – html, WC3, CSS0
- CMS – WordPress, Magento, Joomla0
Top 10 Rankings
An SEO’s primary job is to rank clients highly. This is one example of achieving those high rankings for a client.
- Breeze Gallery
Regular SEOMoz Contributor
Another important part of an SEO’s job is to stay current. In addition to reading over 250 blogs regularly, I participate on the SEOMoz Q&A daily and answer as many questions as time permits. This is one example of my Q&A answers, the rest can be found with a quick Google search of: seomoz.org/q highonseo
While SEOs find it important to rank clients high in search engines, client retention also involves ranking quickly. This portfolio item shows fast rankings including four jumps from outside the top 50 to top 5 on Page 1. Clients who get ranked nearly instantly stay a long time.
- Christine Tremoulet
Social Media Understanding
I find you don’t have to be a rockstar, guru or “expert” to understand social media. With over 60,000 fans, followers and circlers, I have been able to build a strong social media profile by providing value to my readers, understanding online tools and engaging in genuine conversations.
I have SEO’d clients in six countries and over ten unique industries. Our clients are photographers, doctors, tour operators, studio owners, ecommerce store owners and professional bloggers. I am experienced in handling clients from a variety of backgrounds, professions and experience levels.
- US, UK, Australia, Morocco
WOW WOW WOW! That is fantastic! I am so pleased! Thank you so much for working so hard on my site. I really appreciate it and am so glad I hired you!! Awesome, thank you Matt!
Sofia A.Sofia's Organizing Solutions
I hired Matt to do some SEO for one of my business sites that hadn't been receiving enough traffic for a long time. His knowledge of SEO is outstanding as is his thorough work ethic. I also like how he explains in 2nd-grader terminology what he is going to do so I understand each step carefully.
We started with one tiny tweak before he could get to actually start working on my site and with that little change, I got 3 calls within 7 days back-to-back and that was without even completing the other necessary changes.
And beyond his expertise and superb skills, he's a great person with a great sense of humor and he loves what he does. That's the type of person any entrepreneur wants on their team in any capacity. Hire him! You won't regret it!
Bree L.Breeze Photography
I can’t believe it! I am so happy with the investment. I hadn’t even checked lately since I figured it would take a while to update. I can’t believe it was that fast!!!!!!! I can’t wait to tell the other girls. Thanks again!!!! I enjoyed working with you and and I’m so happy with the results!
Paul A.Adams Weddings
Wow! Matt thats amazing!! Thats just superb! I really couldnt ask for more its really appreciated. I am very, very pleased with all you have done and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend you to others.
Sylvia BorgoSylvia Borgo Photography
Matt Antonino has an incredible knowledge of Search Engine Optimization (SEO). He is able to navigate the ever-changing “rules” in this field and still provide phenomenal results. I was “invisible” to Google at the beginning of 2011, but now I’m on page one of several key searches. Also, his services are a value.
I highly recommend Matt’s services.
Dee D.Dee Dunham Photography
OMG, Matt, I’m dying over here! I think that I’m on page 1 for “Miami newborn photographer,” “Miami family photographer,” and “Miami child photographer!” This is major! Your SEO voodoo is working – I’m so thrilled!
Tami C.Anthology Photography
Just wanted to say a big thank you for the hard work you put in on my seo building package. before you started, i was number 1,999,999 in the big google playing field. I never paid attention to any of this so never did any work to improve it, cause after all, i was starting at a time when thousands were already ahead of me so why bother, right?
i’ve now seen a search showing up on my stats for ‘photographer, london england’ and i am showing up at no. 3 – yes, i said no. 3! in my opinion, this is just unbelievable. how you got me to jump ahead i’ll never understand but will really appreciate it! I’ve also seen other searches being done and i am always showing up right at the top – in one instance, i am showing up ahead of the AG/WPJA for artistic wedding photographer!
Also, the work you did to clear out the old business name was fantastic to say the least – something i thought we might never accomplish.
I would not hesitate for a second to say this was money well spent, considering how much i blow on crap that will never benefit my business, i do feel this was worth it, a good investment!
Read more reviews for Matt & High on SEO
You don’t know me so when I submit my resume to your company or send a proposal over to your marketing department for my SEO services, you don’t know anything but what is on that paper. This is my opportunity to tell you what I can do so please allow me to brag a bit.Read more
- February 4, 2013
- All posts
First, I’m happy to say that I have a life outside work. There was a time when I didn’t. I was a workaholic for years. I obsessed with time tracking and worked over 100 hours per week for months at a time. Now, I have a healthier balance. I love to work but I don’tRead more
- February 2, 2013
- All posts